Wednesday, June 16, 2010

De-Centering?

I just read a reflective post on my good friend Laura's blog about her time in Mexico (lauritadianita.info) in which she talks about her search for fresh chicken. In her mind this meant a store with refrigeration. What she found was a woman willing to slaughter a chicken in front of her. This sparked an "Oh yeah, I guess I never thought of it that way" memory of my own.

On an early morning taxi ride the day before I left Costa Rica the cab driver commented to me how much he loved the rain.
"You live in the right place, then." I said. "But how do you dry your clothes?"
"Well, I have a little covered space where I hang them. They dry fine there. In two days just about everything is dry."
And then he went on to share with me how one can use the back of their fridge to dry small pieces of clothing, like underwear.
"It's great," he said. "Everything will be dry in two days!"

And I thought: "So this is my problem. I thought two days drying time was slow!"

So, there you are LauritaDianita, my own reflections on de-centering.

No comments:

Post a Comment