Saturday, September 12, 2009

Half Hearted Update

Some interesting things that have happened recently:

1. Frisbee this afternoon. Why is it so fun? Ages ranged from 60's to 4, with everything in between.

2. A student asking, "So, if I find a dead animal, should I bring it in?"

3. Friday after work we walked down to the cheese factory for ice cream. On the way there we passed a pasture filled with young cows munching on wet grass. Two cows were outside of the fence. When we got to the factory we asked about it, but they said that they belonged to a family in the community, not the factory. It all felt very...small town.

4. I took my first yoga class, ever. It was hard. I am sore.

5. Spanish book club! Jorge Luis Borges = complex.

6. It rained for six hours straight yesterday. I thought this was pretty cool, but I hear that the same thing happened in NYC that day. Well, here we get 2 - 2.5 m of rain every year. That's 9 feet!

7. Square dancing tonight at 7. Don't be jealous.

8. Last Tuesday I had recess duty. Sitting out by the field watching the soccer match, I heard howler monkeys. They were close, and very loud. They were prancing around in the trees in the forest at the edge of the field. I could not keep my eyes off of them. No one else seemed to notice. I guess this is what happens when you are a kid in Monteverde. It was like NYC kids ignoring pigeons.

I woke up this morning at 5:20 a.m. to the sound of howler monkeys. They were not as close or as loud. I wonder - why are they called howler monkeys? The sound they make is nothing like a howl. I think they should be called Grumble Monkeys or Grunting Monkeys. I was hungry as I lay in bed listening and my stomach growled. It made the same exact sound as the monkeys. Not a howl.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you going to Yoga and trying something new - maybe I'll tag along next time. Will there be a next time? :)
    sally

    ReplyDelete