Saturday, September 5, 2009

Everyone Has Off Days

This Saturday has not been as productive or active as last. I got up later than usual and took the bus down to Santa Elena and back. No walking today. When I got into my house I noticed that a bug bite from yesterday had swollen. I had a lump the size of half a baseball on my forearm and it was radiating enough heat to warm my entire house during the rainy season. I took some Benedryl, did the laundry, and passed out. I slept through frisbee. Now it's six hours and fifeteen minutes later and the swelling has gone down almost the entire way. Maybe I should have taken two Benedryls? I didn't used to take any Benedryl at all for this type of thing until that fun blister experience one summer in Spain...

Is taking Benedryl often bad? Will I develop a tolerance? How often is often? Is it worse to leave a swollen and inflamed bite untreated? These are the things that I do not know.

Today walking to the internet cafe I saw one of my students pushing a little girl in circles on his bike. He's little. Tiny. He looked so huge in comparison.

Right now, I am sitting on the balcony of the cafe and watching the rain come down. I love rain but I'm glad I brought my brand new, bright orange raincoat. Thanks Mom.

2 comments:

  1. I too react a lot. I used to take Benedryl free. It is a clear capsule and didn't make me as sleepy as regular Benedryl. Now I use a product from Equate (Walmart brand)called Chlortabs. I take it as soon as I'm bitten or stung. It is less expensive, doesn't make me tired and prevents/minamizes the swelling. It is an antihistamine.

    Meanwhile I would follow the dose on the package of Benedryl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lil benadryl won't hurt u, my friend, just make u a lil sleepy.

    ReplyDelete