Sunday, December 26, 2010

International Christmas Eat Fest

Phase One: Christmas Eve

Stage One: Ji's cousin's house in Wayne, NJ. Lots of Korean food I don't know the name of but it was good and I wanted to eat more but did not because we had Stage Two to go to. There was meat and noodles and dumplings and mung bean cakes and green tea cake and almond cookies.

Stage Two: Ji's friends house in Leonia, NJ. Cuban cuisine. Suckling pig with rice, beans, yuca, avocado with onion and lemon juice. Ribs, crispy skin, cheeks. I almost busted my button off my pants.

Phase Two: Christmas Day

Stage Three: Ya's house in Plainview, LI. Enough (mostly) Thai food to last 3-4 months: lo mein, spring rolls, ginger noodles with shrimp, chicken, spinach cakes, green curry soup, baked ziti, fried sweet potatoes and taro. Having nothing to do with food, this get together also included Senegalese sabar drumming by Mass and some cousins and some really enthusiastic dancing by my aunts. Ji, Mindy and I got sabar lessons and I only smacked my hand with the stick once. Mass says this means that I'm really starting to understand sabar.

Languages spoken during this 24 hour period: English, Korean, Spanish, Thai, French, Wolof.

When Ji and I got back to his apartment we watched How To Train Your Dragon and then spent about three hours working on projects - Ji-Soo fiddling with his guitar and me sewing a sewing pouch.

And I am happy, happy, happy.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful!
    I have questions I don't think you have answers to about things like "green tea cake", "cheeks", and "spinach cakes".
    And that's ok.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was all the language of love and family and celebration!

    Aunt S

    ReplyDelete