Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sadness Inhibits Articulate Thought

Blog update. Blog update. Blog update.

I have been sad - how's that for an update? Last Sunday I went to a funeral. Last time I went abroad I went to a funeral. I guess life doesn't stop even when you live in another country.

And, since melancholy makes it hard for me to articulate anything, here are some pictures:


Here is a close-up (macromacromacro) of granadilla seeds. I still have no idea what this fruit is.


Tedi showed me how to sneak a little bit onto this hotel property and go through the hole in the bushes to catch this killer view of the sunset. This is also the hotel that let one of my student's mom, who works there, take a bunch of banana leaves so we could make tamales for the school on Friday.


The bug obsession is less but still present. I picked up my computer off the kitchen counter one evening to find this brightly colored, flattened, dried out dude underneath. Hi.


Spikey plant on the day after Thanksgiving hike.


Leaf skeleton. So pretty. There were other, more detailed pictures of the leaf structure, but for some reason I'm partial to pictures of people holding things that shows their fingers. Those are my fingers.


At the start of the month the power went out again. This is my bedroom with maybe a six second shutter speed. The light was really pretty but it looks like some sort of crazy shrine to Ji and me.


The night of December 3rd there was a parade downtown. They called it the Festival of Lights. The entire time I was confused. What were we celebrating? This is a backhoe decorated by the local highschool to look like a dragon. What? Spectators has circus-like flashy, spinny toys, santa hats and devil horns. Please, someone, explain this to me.


This is a pick-up truck full of elves. Right after I took this picture a lady came out of the crowd and started taking kids out of the truck. I started thinking about people stealing midgets.


This was pretty much exactly what happened on September 15 for Independence Day, but with Santa hats.


You can't tell, but some of these animals are in my class. The next day we were all very tired.

1 comment:

  1. Here is more info than you want to know.

    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/sweet_granadilla.html

    I love your photos. I'm sorry you're sad.
    Does one really need a logical reason to have a parade or festival of lights. It is a good excuse to dress up and have a good time.

    ReplyDelete