Sunday, August 30, 2009

Co-Existing

8/28/09

Today marks one month that I have been in Costa Rica. Two weeks tomorrow since Noelle left.

Tonight I finish a phone conversation and replace the phone in the cradle. I pause. Did I really just see that? I lift the phone again. Yes. In the space where the earpiece goes is a brown grasshopper. Was I talking for that long? Did I kill it? I pick up the cradle and turn it upside down. Nothing comes out. I look. It’s still there. I give the cradle a good shake. It’s still there. What the hell? I rap the cradle on the bookcase. The little brown grasshopper is holding on tight. I contemplate just hanging up the phone again and leaving the bug nestled neatly under the earpiece, but decide that that will be more work later. I pick up the cradle and give it a good swing and the grasshopper goes tumbling out, making a slight click, click as it hits the tile floor and bounces once. I hang the phone up and go to brush my teeth thinking, “Is this really my life?”


This is not the guy that I bounced from my phone cradle, but its still pretty cool. It's just the exoskeleton. I found him waiting for me one morning as I was about to sit in my hammock and have breakfast before work.

No comments:

Post a Comment