Sunday, August 2, 2009

Jocotes

Today I washed the fruit before I ate it. Today we did not wade through fecal water. Three times. Twice after reading the sign that said, "Contaminated Water: Contains Fecal Matter. Not Safe for Swimming." Swimming, wading across, very different things. Today I did not get anything stolen. Things are looking up.

Some people say that you should not blog about poop. I say, this blog is about my experiences and sometimes pooping can monopolize your experiences. For the three weeks before I left for Costa Rica my body was always in a rush to get all the food out of it. Via the downward route. As soon as I set foot in Costa Rica, unwashed fruit and fecal water included, I have had nothing but smooth sailing. I wonder what this says about my emotional state.

I'd like to revert to my favorite form of written expression: the list. Today was successful for a number of reasons:
1. Two great poops. They were great not only because I was in charge and they were not, but also because the feeble piping system here in Costa Rica had no problem dealing with them. If you are looking for a GREAT bathroom in San Jose, go to el Museo de Numismatico in la Plaza de Cultura.
2. We changed rooms in our hostel. We are no longer in a dormitory on the first floor with six other people, right inside from the weed smoking porch and a stone's throw down the hall from the lobby where travelers chain smoke and drink Pilsen. We have our own room on the second floor with only a little bit of graffitti on the walls.
3. I went to the Numismatic Museum and learned about the history of Costa Rican currency. I also used the bathroom, and it was great.
4. I sat in the park tonight with Noelle. She ate ice cream and I ate my jocotes. I had washed them, and they tasted a little better. Less dusty.

No comments:

Post a Comment