Sunday, August 16, 2009

Meeting

This morning I attended my first non-required Quaker Meeting. Why? Because going to Meeting is like a drug. I'm not sure if that's the reason I'm supposed to go to Meeting, but it is why I go. I don't think they'll kick me out.

They say that meeting is a time to listen for a message from God. I'm not entirely comfortable with that, so I just try to hear a message from me. Which is hard. Today I heard the wind blowing through the trees, birds calling and my own sadness. This is what has happened to me at every Meeting I've gone to: I sit, I settle, I listen and breath deep and then I get real sad. It's a tangible sadness - I feel it inside my chest. It's heavy and tugs on my shoulders from the inside.

This is interesting, because when I go to Meeting I don't think I'm sad. So, pretty much, I just sit there and listen to my sadness and try to figure out what it's trying to tell me. This is what I figured out today: life is much more memorable when shared with loved ones. Because of the sharing. I thought about walking in Spain with my Dad and how much I loved it, mostly because he also loved it. We just limped around all day and loved it, together.

Conclusion: come visit me in Costa Rica so I can share how much I love with place with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment