Saturday, August 15, 2009

Things You Should Know About My Life in Costa Rica Before You Visit

1. There are bugs everywhere. Inside, outside, at the school. Moths, cockroaches, spiders, beetles, silverfish, ants, scorpians.

2. Toilet paper goes in the trash, not the toilet.

3. No hot water, except for in the shower, where it is heated by an electric coil right before it falls on your head.

4. Rain. Everyday.

5. I live on a dirt road.

6. Everything smells like mildew. My books have started to curl and all my paper is damp.

7. I live right above my landlady. You can hear everything.

8. I make $600/month. No special anything. You're gonna have to treat yourself, sorry.

9. The nearest supermarket is an hour walk from my house and its pretty sparse. People barter services for expensive chocolate.

10. In my orientation folder at my new job they included an alert about the Chagas bug (Triatoma dimidiata) that can make you very sick. It bites you as you sleep at night and sucks your blood. As it sucks your blood it defecates in you, which can cause lesions in the heart, respiratory problems or imflammation of the lymphatic system or liver and spleen.

11. It gets cold here. Two sweatshirts and a hat cold.

12. There is cloud cover 90% of the time.

13. My cabin has a corrugated tin roof. When it rains you can't hold a conversation without yelling.


A little friend on my front porch.


Drying laundry in the middle of a cloud.


This is the intersection by my house. The main road is on the left, my street forks off to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment